At DICK’S Sporting Goods, interns have the opportunity to work with and learn from the leaders of a growing Fortune 400 company. DICK’S Sporting Goods is returning to campus this year; to recruit, train and develop top collegiate talent into well-rounded design interns.
During the 11-week summer experience, interns will take on meaningful work assignments and make tangible contributions to the organization’s success. This structured and well-organized program provides on-the-job training, classroom instruction, cross-functional departmental exposure and an end-of-program project presentation.
Interns are assigned to a training manager within Product Development – primarily in Athletic Apparel design. Potential areas of placement include Calia, VRST, DSG, Alpine Design, Walter Hagen, Slazenger, and more.
Apparel Design Internship:
Interns will be responsible for assisting in the design & development of processes. Additional responsibilities include helping to develop themes, color, fabrications, silhouettes, & mood for upcoming season, as well as working with manufacturers to develop original textiles & patterns.
* Supports Designer in the creation and execution of product assortments and adheres to the Time & Action Calendar
* Conducts raw material research and fabric / trim market research. Able to draw flat sketches & fashion sketches
* Communicates with vendors & follow through on sample development
* Build/update seasonal product/trend/color boards and CADs. Assist in building the tools to communicate the designers vision at a store/fixture level
* Assists in managing PLM database for tech packs
* Assists in room set up for product presentations
Some of your experiences will include: Qualifications
* Multi day intern orientation to introduce you to the company, the program, Pittsburgh, and your classmates
* Professional development workshops designed to increase your knowledge of the company and the retail industry, as well as develop their business acumen and office professionalism
* Extensive exposure to our senior leadership through our exclusive intern only Executive Speaker Series which includes a meet & greet with our CEO
* Opportunities to “live the brand” and experience summer fun outside the office through various events
* Fully furnished summer housing is provided for interns who reside outside of the Metro Pittsburgh area or stipend for local interns
* Working a 40 hour work week, Monday – Friday
Skills we are looking for:
* A competitive spirit with a passion for results
* Forward thinking with a strong eye for trend, color, and print
* A curiosity and desire to learn about consumer and retail trends, including customer demographics, purchasing influencers and emerging technology
* Dynamic written and verbal communication style to read and write reports, as well as communicate cross functionally and vertically throughout the organization
* Ability to work in a fast-paced and deadline-oriented environment
We look for potential candidates with:
* Graduation date of Winter 2023 or Spring 2024
* A major in Fashion Design
* Ability to create CADs
* Ability to design using new advanced technology; Adobe Illustrator, Photo Shop, Kaledo
* Ability to create technical sketches and tech packs in AI
* An ability to relocate to the Pittsburgh, PA area for the summer
* Portfolio of work is REQUIRED upon application
Start Date: May 15, 2023
End Date: July 28, 2023
Full-time opportunities in 2024:
Interns will be evaluated at the end of the program for full-time positions in 2024.