At Public Lands, we exist to celebrate and protect public lands for all. We believe these national treasures are meant to be explored, protected and celebrated so they may live on for generations. With this in mind, we seek to empower the passionate, to guide the curious and to celebrate the courageous on their journey to thrive outside. Our mission grounds us in the communities we serve and drives our commitment to inspire and enable a diverse community of people to experience the profound power of the outdoors, either in their backyards or in our nation’s public lands. We are also committed to our unmatched set of standards for environmental practices.
At the core of our brand is a dedication to provide products and experiences to any explorer in an effort to grow the number of people who love and seek to protect our public lands. We are driven to meet each explorer where they are in their journey, and to do it with an unapologetic commitment to style, quality and service. Our retail locations are designed to inspire and fuel a need to get outside. Our team lives and breathes for their next adventure, no matter how big or small. We are outdoor humans – connected by a common passion, shared experiences and style that is all our own.
As an Assistant Store Manager, you will have the exciting challenge of creating a culture where we connect with our customers, inspire our teammates and empower our communities to get outside. The ideal candidate for the role is a purpose driven business leader, one who creates results by staying true to our values, our mission and our commitment to protecting public lands. From defining what that experience is, to training and developing the best teammates to executing our standards. You'll directly manage a specific team and have a dotted line responsibility for managing teammates in other areas of our store.
Develop Talent and Drive Teammate Engagement
- Build a high performing team. Provide direct/indirect reports with timely and regular feedback to support teammate development, growth in role and job satisfaction. Recognize and reward good performance and address poor performance.
- Drive the talent selection process in alignment with the company’s talent philosophy for all open positions; this includes reviewing resumes, interviewing and making hiring decisions. Ensure all hires are appropriately trained and on-boarded.
- Demonstrate a high level of passion and commitment to enhancing the overall teammate experience by displaying integrity, inclusion and empowering direct/indirect reports to be their best.
- Display a commitment to creating a work environment where inclusion and diversity are paramount to success. Create a store environment where all teammates and customer feel welcome, included and respected.
Business Development and Management
- Manage the sales performance to meet sales and margin goals
- Uphold standards for merchandise presentation and stockroom organization
- Hold associates accountable for meeting established operational guidelines, brand standards, customer service expectations, and company policies
- Manage associate performance matters, including appraisals, promotion recommendations, and discipline
- Responsible for building a world-class team, including attracting, selecting, coaching and developing an engaged team.
- Validate schedules for the assigned department(s) and monitor payroll on a daily basis to ensure payroll plans are met, including scheduling associates to complete non-selling activities as needed
- Drive shrink results through compliance to all guidelines involved with safety, loss prevention, and cash-handling procedures
- Other tasks/responsibilities as business needs dictate
- Adhere to established policies and procedures related to safety, loss prevention and standard operating procedures, as well as to laws and guidelines of external governing entities.
- Relentlessly focus on developing and maintaining a culture where discussion about environmental issues, public lands protection and opening the outdoors to all is not only taking place but is prioritized.
- Act as the face of the brand with local organizations, advocacy groups and public sector by demonstrating activism and commitment to expand access to the outdoors and protect local green spaces. Align local strategies with the larger brand objectives.
All Teammates are required to adhere to all safety policies and procedures. Additionally, as business needs arise, other tasks may become necessary. Qualifications
- 1-3 years Retail Assistant Store Manager, Department Manager (Big Box preferred) or Retail Store Manager experience required
- World-class customer service skill and interpersonal/communication skills
- Affinity for building a team that reflects the community, developing talent and creating a culture of recognition
- Strong problem-solving ability and analytical skills
- A well-connected network within the larger outdoor community, the DSG organization or within the specific market of store
- Strong planning and organizing skills
- Attention to detail and the ability to execute company standards
- Creating an environment where the team knows how they impact the bottom line
- True passion for the outdoors and getting others outside. Knowledge of issues pertaining to the environment and public lands, or willingness to learn
- Flexible availability – including nights, weekend, and holidays
- Ability to prepare routine administrative paperwork
- Quarterly and Annual Bonus Programs
DICK’S Sporting Goods is an Equal Opportunity Employer Committed to Inclusion and Diversity.