What you'll do...
H&R Block is looking for a dynamic, experienced, talented storyteller to motivate, engage and empower our associates and franchisees. The Senior Internal Communications Manager will be responsible for supporting the overall strategy and execution of H&R Block's internal communications, working with the Internal Communications Director and departments across the organization. This position will facilitate best practice sharing and engage and coach department representatives in effective communications. We're in the middle of an exciting transformation journey at H&R Block - if you have what it takes and you're up for a challenge, we want to talk to you!
Strategic Partnering & Outlook
- Works across the organization and with senior leadership to drive awareness of and engagement with the company's five-year strategy
- Identifies trends and methods to connect in new, impactful ways with associates and franchisees
- Identifies and cultivates new data sources and collection tools to support the business and communications objectives
- Partners closely with Human Resources and develops communication tactics to evolve the corporate culture, change associate behaviors, and create a sense of belonging throughout the organization
- Builds a deep understanding of business partners' objectives in order to tie communications work directly to desired business outcomes
- Directly responsible for the management and content compilation of all internal communication channels, including Intranet, internal social channels, digital interfaces, video, email announcements, and more
- Responsible for supporting our transformation strategy through new and engaging approaches targeted by role that help associates and franchisee understand how these important efforts impact their daily lives as well as their specific role in delivering success
- Works closely with senior executives to develop clear, concise, detailed and effective visual presentations for delivery before large internal audiences, including town halls, annual meetings and other events as needed
- Facilitates peer-to-peer interactions - sharing of best practices and ideas among peers
- Forms partnerships with key groups to ensure that communications are involved at the beginning of change implementation process
- Actively participates on cross-functional teams to enhance the associate experience and provide a sense of belonging
- Ensures internal communications' consistency and effectiveness
- Has, or can acquire, an in-depth understanding of the company, its strategy, operations, business objectives and industry - can critically evaluate the costs, risks, and benefits of different alternatives before making a decision
- Is results and outcome driven
- Anticipates stakeholder reactions to messages and can discern when a gap between communication and behavior is causing or preventing a desired outcome
Data & Measurement
- Develops short- and long-term measurement strategies that enable the function to better assess the outcomes of its efforts and more easily prioritize the highest-value work
- Collaborates with and coaches team members to better integrate measurement into individual project plans
- Defines and delivers new reporting standards and methods, with an emphasis on simplicity, clarity, and actionability in the presentation of quantitative data
Number of employees supervised: one
Hybrid environment - office and home
Travel: Occasional Travel Required
About H&R Block...
We're here to live our purpose-to provide help and inspire confidence in our clients and communities everywhere. We take our work personally, because we know what it represents: Families and homes. Livelihoods and lives.
We've been true to that purpose since brothers Henry and Richard Bloch founded our company in 1955. Since then, we've grown to approximately 12,000 tax offices throughout the United States and around the world. When you join our team, you'll add to the momentum of a forward-thinking company-one that defined an industry and is now leading its transformation.
What you'll bring to the team...
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Communications or Management or other major with relevant communications experience
- 10 or more years of business communications experience.
- Superior storytelling, graphic design and interpersonal communication skills. Strong presentation and facilitation skills to communicate with and persuade a wide range of audiences.
- Superior matrix management skills and ability to oversee tasks delegated to others
- Exceptional collaboration skills with the ability to partner effectively within the department
- Demonstrated ability to present complex business ideas, strategies and results succinctly and persuasively
- Demonstrated ability to use data analytics to measure effectiveness of communications, including engagement, and then adjust strategy, tactics and approaches accordingly
- Able to select writing style based on the desired stakeholder reaction and modifies it to be channel appropriate. Crafts strategic, high-level company positioning in the market, linked to desired reputation and branding attributes
- Has, or can acquire, an in-depth understanding of the company, its strategy, operations, business objectives and industry -can critically evaluate the costs, risks, and benefits of different alternatives before making a decision
- Can anticipate stakeholder reactions to messages and can discern when a gap between communication and behavior is causing or preventing a desired outcome
- Demonstrated track record of establishing priorities and meeting deadlines