AGE REQUIREMENTS: Must be between the ages of 17 and 35
Lightweight and highly mobile, the AVENGER is the Army National Guard’s premier shoot-on-the-move air defense weapon. An AVENGER Crewmember operates and maintains this surface-to-air missile system, designed to identify, track, and engage enemy targets like cruise missiles, and low-flying aircraft.
The crewmember is responsible for operating and maintaining the AVENGER system, which consists of eight STINGER missiles enclosed inside two missile pods. It is also combined with a remotely fired .50 cal machine gun that is mounted to a Humvee.
You will learn how to prepare, operate, and fire weapons systems, and establish and maintain radio communications. Other duties include driving, vehicle maintenance, and securing battle positions.
• Movement and placement of the AVENGER weapons system in various locations and environments
• Operate AVENGER electronic, hydraulic, radar, and mechanical components
• Perform target engagement evaluations; operate “friend-or foe” identification equipment, and engage targets
• Transport, prepare, reload, and resupply missiles and ammunition
Some of the Skills You’ll Learn
• Navigate terrain using maps, compass, and GPS devices
• Utilize digital communications equipment to identify and receive target information and engagement orders
• Ammunition handling procedures
• Air defense artillery tactics, techniques, procedures, and air battle strategy
• Physically and mentally fit to perform under pressure
• Ability to multitask and remain calm in stressful situations
Your training will instill discipline, as well as leadership and teamwork skills. These are the qualities all employers look for because people who possess them think clearly, remain calm under pressure, and push an organization forward. By joining the Army National Guard, you will be preparing yourself for a rewarding civilian career.
Earn While You Learn
Instead of paying to learn these skills, get paid to train. In the Army National Guard, you will learn these valuable job skills while earning a regular paycheck and qualifying for tuition assistance.
Job training for AVENGER Crewmembers consists of 10 weeks of Basic Training, where you'll learn basic Soldiering skills, and 10 weeks of Advanced Individual Training. Training consists of both classroom and field work.
The National Guard is a unique element of the U.S. military that serves both community and country. The Guard responds to domestic emergencies, overseas combat missions, counterdrug efforts, reconstruction missions and more. Any state governor or the President of the United States can call on the Guard in a moment’s notice. Guard Soldiers hold civilian jobs or attend college while maintaining their military training part time. Guard Soldiers’ primary area of operation is their home state.
The Guard dates back to 1636, when Citizen-Soldiers formed militias to defend community and country. And for 377 years, the Guard has stayed true to its roots. Enlisting in the National Guard means more time at home. Training typically requires one weekend each month, with a two-week training period once each year. Get a degree with money for school, learn job skills that translate to the civilian world, make bonds that last a lifetime and earn pride for life. When you become a Guard Soldier, your family will thank you, your country will thank you and your future will owe you. Contact a recruiter to find more specifics about your opportunities in the Army National Guard.