Retail & Product Development Manager
The Studio Museum in Harlem is the nexus for artists of African descent locally, nationally, and internationally and for work that has been inspired and influenced by Black culture. It is a site for the dynamic exchange of ideas about art and society. The Studio Museum is in the midst of a comprehensive, multi-million dollar Capital Campaign to build a new museum on 125th Street in Harlem, designed by architect Sir David Adjaye.
As the Studio Museum prepares to open its new building, it is looking to increase its earned revenue, in particular from its retail program, which represents an area of strategic growth for the institution. The Museum's retail program currently includes its newly launched e-commerce site and in the near future will encompass a physical store in the new building. The Studio Museum seeks a dynamic and experienced Retail and Product Development Manager to lead the growth of the retail program. As the retail ambassador for the Studio Museum's commercial brand, this position will be responsible for building a product range that feels instinctively the Studio Museum's and successfully translating our mission, values, voice and visual identity in our product offerings, packaging and POS.
This role will be accountable for all retail product for the Studio Museum, and for meeting the financial targets for sales, profit and margin across all the product areas, as well as creating and communicating the vision for the product range.
Product and Content
- Create, plan and manage the product development strategy. Set the vision for all product ranges, aligning them to the Museum's various audience segments.
- Select and purchase product assortments that are in line with that strategy
- Identify and manage relationships with suppliers to ensure quality, price and delivery schedule
- Identify strategic partnerships for the development of unique and custom products
- Establish and implement a production and development calendar
- Ensure product inventory is well-maintained and refreshed
- Stay abreast of current business trends across both the cultural and commercial sectors through own knowledge, networking, attendance at relevant trade shows, and a rolling competitor shop program.
- Responsible for the financial performance of all products, driving the achievement of sales, profit and margin targets. Ensure robust financial plans are in place demonstrating cost vs return
- Determine pricing and profit strategies
- Order and manage inventory for wholesale and retail programs
- Own and manage sales plan and budget
- Collaborate closely with the Senior Retail and Visitor Associate and with the Finance Department to maintain all data reports
- Prepare, analyse, and react to selling recaps, and provide insights and action items based on that information
- Lead planning, execution, and in-season business analysis and action plan
- Review new receipts against business trends to maximize sales and stock
- Oversee the e-commerce site, including special projects, development, and implementation and creation of promotional calendar, marketing strategies, inventory, and order fulfilment
- Work closely with Communications team on execution of marketing plan
- Work closely with Digital Communications Manager on updates to e-commerce site
- Supervise Senior Retail and Visitor Associate
- Forge strong relationships with the Curatorial and Program teams. Establish successful ways of working that enable commercial opportunities to be realised.
- Position requires 4 - 6 years of retail buying experience, with e-commerce and marketing experience a plus
- Proven experience of being able to initiate viable and unique product ideas
- Proven business skills from producing financial plans to using data to drive product decisions and operational improvements in order to maximize profitability
- Proficiency in Shopify, Word, Excel
- Strong organizational, analytical, and prioritization skills
- Experience in and natural ability to set standards, protocols, and operating procedures
- Experience managing and motivating others
- Experience in working across teams, forging effective relationships with colleagues and suppliers.
- Professional, courteous and demonstrates the behaviours and attributes expected of all Studio Museum employees
- Thrive in a fast-paced, often-changing environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability and willingness to travel (to attend trade show, meet with suppliers, etc.) and work occasional evenings and weekends
- BS Degree preferred
Salary is commensurate with experience within the guidelines of a small not-for-profit. The Studio Museum in Harlem provides a competitive benefits package, including medical, dental, life and long-term disability insurance, a retirement account, and substantial vacation time.
The position is open until filled. No phone calls or faxes, please.
Please Apply Online Below