What you'll do...
H&R Block is transforming tax preparation through data to ensure that every client we serve gets the best tax outcome possible.
We're looking to add a hands-on, detail-oriented, and relationship-driven Director to our growing team of innovative data professionals. This Director will lead the enterprise-reporting function, will manage both people leaders and individual contributors, and will report to the Head of Data & Analytics. Your team and you will play a key role in H&R Block's ability to make smarter, data-backed business decisions. You should have a strong sense for taking complex technology and data and delivering approachable, user-friendly reports, visualizations, and other data tools that can be understood by audiences with varying levels of data literacy.
Some of what you'll be doing
- Collaborate with internal business partners to determine and address data and reporting needs, set KPIs, and transform the business.
- Lead three teams aligned to the reporting needs of the corporate audience, the retail field organization, and the call center.
- Actively manage a portfolio of reports, self-service tools, and other data assets.
- Guarantee reporting and data accuracy through testing and data-set validation.
- Ensure a high-quality user experience with new reports by working iteratively and proactively seeking feedback.
- Mentor and develop your team.
About H&R Block...
We're here to live our purpose to provide help and inspire confidence in our clients and communities everywhere. We take our work personally, because we know what it represents: Families and homes. Livelihoods and lives.
We've been true to that purpose since brothers Henry and Richard Bloch founded our company in 1955. Since then, we've grown to approximately 12,000 tax offices throughout the United States and around the world. When you join our team, you'll add to the momentum of a forward-thinking company one that defined an industry and is now leading its transformation.
It would be even better if you also had...
- Experience working on reporting for a large network of field locations (stores, offices, branches, etc.).
- Experience developing data models and reporting with Looker.
- Exposure to Design Thinking or similar UX processes and philosophies, UI development, and rapid prototyping.
- Experience with D3.js or similar charting libraries.
What you'll bring to the team...
- Degree in mathematics, statistics, computer science, information technology, economics or related field, or equivalent work experience.
- A strong point of view and fresh ideas for innovation in this space, with a willingness to drive change.
- Record of success leading large teams and directly developing and training talent.
- Expertise in data visualization and experience with front-end development, plus extensive hands-on experience with a BI tool, preferably with Looker.
- Experience with data warehouses and marts, database structures, and query languages, plus a track record of working with and understanding relationships within large, complex databases.
- Comfort navigating enterprise-wide relationships in a large company, balancing many stakeholders at all levels of the organization, and leading work at a very high pace.
- Obsession with details, data quality, and customer service.
- Communication skills with the ability to distill complex, technical subjects to a wider audience.
- Excellent leadership, collaboration, and project-management skills.
- Willingness to be bold, take risks, make decisions, and solve problems.