What you'll do...
H&R Block, Inc. (NYSE: HRB) is a global financial services provider. Tax return preparation services are provided by a professional network of |80,000 tax preparers in approximately 11,000 company-owned and franchise retail tax offices worldwide (U.S., Canada and Australia), and through H&R Block tax software and the emerging platform of virtual tax preparation services.
H&R Block also offers small dollar lending products (Emerald Advance, Refund Advance) and markets Emerald Card, one of the largest reloadable debit cards in America. In addition, value-added services such as Tax Identity Shield and Peace of Mind are offered to its clients.
In fiscal 2019, H&R Block had annual revenues of over $3.1 billion and EBITDA margins of 25.8%, with over 23 million tax returns prepared worldwide and with earnings per share of $2.15, current quarterly dividend of $0.26.
Coincident with the appointment of Jeff Jones as President and CEO, in October 2017, the Company embarked on an ambitious growth-oriented transformation. This transformation is focused on increasing the value of H&R Block to their clients by improving the quality of the customer experience through enhanced service delivery, enabled by modernizing their technology. The plan also includes significant innovation of their digital product offerings, leveraging and monetizing data more extensively, and seeking opportunities to expand their addressable market.
In FY19 H&R Block continued to execute on its Strategic Roadmap, focusing on significant improvements in how to serve its clients. H&R Block delivered at the top end of its external outlook, grew overall return volume faster than the industry for the 2nd consecutive year, and delivered industry-leading online volume, growing DIY market share for the third straight year.
As part of investing for the long term, H&R Block announced the acquisition of Wave Financial (waveapps.com), a rapidly growing financial solutions platform focused on changing the way small business owners manage their finances. This acquisition will expand and accelerate the Company's strategic focus on the large and growing self-employed and small business market.
The Company will continue to pursue additional growth including partnerships, strategic investments, and acquisitions. It is anticipated that this more digitally forward version of HRB will enable the growth opportunities mentioned above and provide a solid foundation for continued growth and profitability.
The Vice President - Investor Relations (VP-IR) will report directly to the CFO and work closely with the CEO. He/she will be responsible for creating and presenting a clear and powerful message to the investment community on behalf of H&R Block. Additionally, this role will be responsible for creating a dynamic strategy to effectively communicate the transformation journey of H&R Block. The VP-IR will be responsible for monitoring and presenting to management and the Board of Directors the opinions of the investment community regarding H&R Block's performance, industry trends, and actions that may affect the company's share price, in effect being the voice of the investor internally. We are looking for a seasoned IR executive who can operate effectively as a thought leader at H&R Block challenging the status quo for the function.
This role will lead the Investor Relations team and ensure the timely and accurate production of an annual Investor Relations plan, an understanding of our competitors (including financial metrics and differentiations), help build presentations, press releases, all quarterly earnings-related content, and contribute to the development of annual reports, SEC filings, and proxy statements.
- Develop and implement a proactive investor relations strategy and program, including identifying sell-side analysts for expanded coverage and manage current and potential investor relationships effectively
- Bring an investor perspective to relevant internal interactions
- Maintain routine contact with Company's stock surveillance firm and other vendors regarding stock performance, shareholder base and macroeconomic factors affecting the Company's stock
- Manage the Company's Investor Relations website, including content creation, design, and updating in coordination with website vendor
- Act as a key spokesperson to the investment community with the role of educating and persuading interested parties regarding H&R Block's financial performance, industry trends, and business model transition
- Prepare key investment messages and presentations to communicate financial performance, business conditions, and company strategy to sell-side analysts and institutional investors
- Anticipate and address investor and analyst issues. Build relationships, respond in a timely manner to analysts' questions, and gain better understanding of top investors' perspectives
- Become the investor advocate to senior management and the Board of Directors about financial and industry trends, shareholders concerns, and actions that might impact the Company's share price
- Collaborate closely with Corporate Communications and Government Relations teams to ensure a consistent message on branding and strategy
- Assess the mix of the investor base and create an annual plan to target and attract long-term investors, to expand and maintain key investors' ownership positions
- Build an in-depth understanding of H&R Block's operations, financials, businesses, accounting, and key metrics
- Maintain competitive analysis, including the development of industry and peer company performance benchmarks. Continuously measure and update this information and use it to provide a relative performance framework for the investment community
- Assist with the review of the proxy and other SEC filings
- Collaborate with team across the company to create an Environment, Social and Governance platform to highlight the strong practices of H&R Block
- Lead the quarterly earnings process, which includes creating all communication materials, drafting earnings releases, call scripts, accompanying presentations, as well as preparing talking points and relevant Q&A
- Manage and participate in investment conferences, and organize non-deal roadshows as applicable
About H&R Block...
We're here to live our purpose to provide help and inspire confidence in our clients and communities everywhere. We take our work personally, because we know what it represents: Families and homes. Livelihoods and lives.
We've been true to that purpose since brothers Henry and Richard Bloch founded our company in 1955. Since then, we've grown to approximately 12,000 tax offices throughout the United States and around the world. When you join our team, you'll add to the momentum of a forward-thinking company one that defined an industry and is now leading its transformation.
What you'll bring to the team...
Qualifications & Experience
Leadership & Personal Characteristics
- 10+ years of overall business experience with background in finance, treasury, strategy or communication
- 5+ years of experience leading investors relations for a publicly traded company
- Must be willing to travel domestically and internationally for investor meetings, conferences and to H&R Block corporate office
- Strong financial analysis skills, broad industry knowledge and sophisticated understanding of investor relations
- Possess a strong network of investment community relationships, including investors, analysts and financial media
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Bachelor's degree required; MBA with an emphasis in finance preferred
- Role is located in Kansas City, MO; the company is open to allowing candidates to work remotely
- Unquestionable honesty, ethics and personal integrity
- Curious, a student of business and human behavior; deeply knowledgeable of their own business and always looking for inspiration from other businesses
- Broad strategic thinker who innovates, challenges, changes, and pushes boundaries to solve problems
- Transparent and straightforward communication style across all audiences
- Bias for action, sense of urgency, not deterred by challenges
- Courage to take calculated risks and make bold decisions, tenacious, resilient and adaptable
- Highly collaborative with excellent interpersonal skills; cultivates an active network inside and outside the organization
- Values winning as a team