What you'll do...
H&R Block, Inc. (NYSE: HRB) is a global financial services provider. Tax return preparation services are provided by professional network of |80,000 tax preparers in approximately 11,000 company-owned and franchise retail tax offices worldwide (U.S., Canada and Australia), and through H&R Block tax software and the emerging platform of virtual tax preparation services.
H&R Block also offers small dollar lending products (Emerald Advance, Refund Advance) and markets Emerald Card, one of the largest reloadable debit cards in America. In addition, value-added services such as Tax Identity Shield and Peace of Mind are offered to its clients.
In fiscal 2019, H&R Block had annual revenues of over $3.1 billion and EBITDA margins of 25.8%, with over 23 million tax returns prepared worldwide and with earnings per share of $2.15, current quarterly dividend of $0.26.
Coincident with the appointment of Jeff Jones as President and CEO, in October 2017, the Company embarked on an ambitious growth-oriented transformation. This transformation is focused on increasing the value of H&R Block to their clients by improving the quality of the customer experience through enhanced service delivery, enabled by modernizing their technology. The plan also includes significant innovation of their digital product offerings, leveraging and monetizing data more extensively, and seeking opportunities to expand their addressable market.
In FY19 H&R Block continued to execute on its Strategic Roadmap, focusing in significant improvements on how to serve its clients. H&R Block delivered at the top end of its external outlook, grew overall return volume faster than the industry for the 2nd consecutive year, and delivered industry-leading online volume, growing DIY market share for the third straight year.
As part of investing for the long term, H&R Block announced the acquisition of Wave Financial (waveapps.com), a rapidly-growing financial solutions platform focused on changing the way small business owners manage their finances. This acquisition will expand and accelerate the Company's strategic focus on the large and growing self-employed and small business market.
The Company will continue to pursue additional growth including partnerships, strategic investments, and acquisitions. It is anticipated that this more digitally forward version of HRB will enable the growth opportunities mentioned above and provide a solid foundation for continued growth and profitability.
After a deep analysis of small business owners and the professional service industries that serve them, we believe the small business segment is the biggest growth opportunity for H&R Block over the next five years. To capture this opportunity, we will build a new business model that leverages technology and human help to strengthen the spirit of entrepreneurship and enable small business owners to thrive. We will define a go-to-market approach that uniquely positions us for accelerated growth, including key partnerships and/or acquisition of new capabilities that provide additional digital services. As such, the company is building an expanded team, including a new role of Director Small Business Services, to deliver this strategic imperative. This individual will lead a team focused on creating and implementing a digital first model that provides services to small business owners through a blend of technology and human care + expertise. You will be part of a team that craves tough problems, acts boldly, demands high standards, is highly accountable and learns from mistakes.
This individual will lead a team of |2-4 people, and provide matrixed or agile team leadership across a wide array of functions to achieve the business goals. Direct reports to the Director Small Business Services will likely include 2 program managers each responsible for growing and serving Small Business consumers with distinct products/services. The Director Small Business reports directly to the Vice President, GM Small Business.
What You'll Do
- Produce a detailed plan to productize and standardize services offered to the small business client segment, with an initial focus on bookkeeping and payroll services.
- Develop a concierge client service model that facilitates multiple personalized services for each small business client.
- Leverage H&R Block's partnership with Wave to explore other service opportunities.
- Collaborate internally and externally to explore M&A and partnerships to add capabilities and/or drive client growth.
- Develop an engagement model for H&R Block franchisees.
- Monitor and analyze key performance indicators and stay abreast of the competition and emerging trends to drive profitable growth. Distill data insights into meaningful recommendations and execution plans.
- Lead and coach your team to attain aggressive growth goals, while maintaining enthusiasm and camaraderie. Build bench strength by attracting and developing top talent.
About H&R Block...
We're here to live our purpose to provide help and inspire confidence in our clients and communities everywhere. We take our work personally, because we know what it represents: Families and homes. Livelihoods and lives.
We've been true to that purpose since brothers Henry and Richard Bloch founded our company in 1955. Since then, we've grown to approximately 12,000 tax offices throughout the United States and around the world. When you join our team, you'll add to the momentum of a forward-thinking company one that defined an industry and is now leading its transformation.
What you'll bring to the team...
- Bachelor's degree in related field or the equivalent through a combination of education and work experience. MBA or Master's Degree preferred.
- Significant experience in area of expertise, typically 10+ years with increasing levels of responsibility and demonstrated ability to drive profitable client growth.
- 5+ years of people leadership experience, including developing and managing a P&L.
- Proven ability to develop and scale new products/services within an existing business model.
- Ability to lead through ambiguity; translating business strategy into an executable plan and tactics that lead to growth.
- Proven ability to develop business cases and ultimately deliver those results with compelling ROI.
- Excellent leadership qualities and communication skills, including proven abilities to facilitate and influence the outcome of cross-functional meetings, champion ideas and influence key stakeholders across the organization to obtain buy-in for service offerings.
- Ability to adapt rapidly in a fast-moving environment with shifting priorities and the ability to react quickly, dynamically, and intelligently.
- Deep understanding of how to leverage data to make decisions that drive positive business outcomes.
- Open and straight-forward communication style across all audiences.
- Bias for action, sense of urgency, not deterred by challenges.
- Courage to take calculated risks and make bold decisions, tenacious, resilient and adaptable.
- Highly collaborative with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Values winning as a team.