What you'll do...
Researches moderate to complex state and local tax issues and drafts memoranda and guidance documents for various internal departments and tax teams. Analyzes, evaluates, and recommends tax forms to add to existing suite of tax products. Assists with state programs management.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES ANDRESPONSIBILITIES
- Researches, analyzes, and evaluates current year state tax forms, vendor specifications, letters of intent, and requirements to identify, document, and advise company of tax changes impacting company compliance with state Departments of Revenue.
- Assists tax software developers by researching and answering tax related questions.
- Creates and executes test scenarios to ensure complex or new state legislative changes have been implemented accurately and consistently across company tax products.
- Uses developed research skills to unravel complex situations into the fundamental tax points as they are applicable to current, proposed, or past law.
- Interprets tax law and regulations to formulate original solutions and policy applications for which specific solutions are not available.
- Makes recommendations to tax product teams on forms that may need to be added to or removed from the existing suite of forms.
- Coordinates, develops, and/or assists in researching tax issues to support other corporate departments such as Government Relations, Media Relations, Marketing, Legal, Insurance, Software Development, Pricing & Analytics, and Field Training.
- Coordinates and/or participates in work teams as necessary for the analysis and preparation of summaries of passed and proposed tax law.
- Edits, reviews, and fact checks a variety of tax-related materials produced by self and others to verify accuracy and completeness of material.
- Ensures that assigned projects are completed on or before agreed upon deadlines.
- Reviews, edits, writes, and proofreads material for other corporate departments.
- Provides regular status reporting on legislative changes identified by Manager.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, or other related field, and/or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Circular 230 designation (attorney, CPA, or EA) is also highly desirable.
- A minimum of 2 years tax research, tax preparation, or related experience.
- Ability to interpret, analyze, and correctly formulate solutions to complex tax situations.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated writing skills in informational, educational, and training materials.
- Experience in multi-state tax preparation or concepts preferred but not required.
- Ability to perform assignments in a highly detailed and accurate manner with minimal oversight.
- Ability to treat confidential information with professionalism and discretion.
- Proficiency with Windows-based computer systems
- Proficiency with PC applications including but not limited to Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Proficiency with at least one online tax research tool (RIA, CCH, BNA, Lexis, or similar)
- Master's degree in Tax, Business, Accounting, Finance, or other related field
- Judicial Clerkship or experience writing memoranda of law
About H&R Block...
We're here to live our purpose to provide help and inspire confidence in our clients and communities everywhere. We take our work personally, because we know what it represents: Families and homes. Livelihoods and lives.
We've been true to that purpose since brothers Henry and Richard Bloch founded our company in 1955. Since then, we've grown to approximately 12,000 tax offices throughout the United States and around the world. When you join our team, you'll add to the momentum of a forward-thinking company one that defined an industry and is now leading its transformation.
What you'll bring to the team...
- Bachelor's degree in a related field or the equivalent through a combination of education and related work experience.
- 5 years Minimum related work experience