What you'll do...
H&R Block is seeking a Director of External Communications -- a creative and strategic storyteller who is passionate about proactively conceptualizing newsworthy moments that drive business value. Under the direction of the Vice President of Corporate Communications, this position will lead a team, as well as coordinate with company leadership and departments to evaluate, develop and implement media, event, recognition and thought leadership opportunities to increase the visibility and brand relevancy of the company.
As the Director of External Communications, you will:
- Actively cultivate and execute storytelling across earned and paid media, as well as manage consistent generation of content for owned platforms
- Develop and implement a media engagement strategy that enhances the company's reputation and brand relevancy
- Build and maintain strong relationships, open communication and a coordinated, consistent presence with high-profile national, trade and local media
- Be an expert on how news media works, understanding the needs and demands for information, as well as being able to prioritize information and anticipate reporter inquiries
- Define and implement an editorial plan that reflects overall positioning of the organization
- Develop and execute a thought leadership program for senior leaders through earned and paid media opportunities and events
- Develop, write and/or approve messaging for press releases, media pitches, talking points, media statements, and more
- Develop business leaders' capabilities as spokespeople, which includes providing media training, creating briefing materials prior to interviews, etc.
- Partner with the Vice President of Corporate Communications on crisis communications strategy, plan development and testing and any necessary media response
About H&R Block...
We're here to live our purpose to provide help and inspire confidence in our clients and communities everywhere. We take our work personally, because we know what it represents: Families and homes. Livelihoods and lives.
We've been true to that purpose since brothers Henry and Richard Bloch founded our company in 1955. Since then, we've grown to approximately 12,000 tax offices throughout the United States and around the world. When you join our team, you'll add to the momentum of a forward-thinking company one that defined an industry and is now leading its transformation.
It would be even better if you also had...
- Demonstrated leadership of a team
- Proven media relations and thought leadership experience, particularly with top tier national media
- Ability to see ahead of the curve about potential audience engagement and media opportunities with a focus on making the brand culturally relevant
- Ability to influence people to exceed business objectives
- Ability to proactively develop and execute projects and plans with a high level of quality and autonomy, demonstrating strong judgement and attention to detail, while also being a team player
- Proven strong core communication skills, including writing
- Ability to translate complex ideas into clear, influential communications and to manage multiple projects and/or teams simultaneously while working independently in a fast-paced environment
- Track record demonstrating the ability to formulate strategic communications plans and to also execute on tactical needs
- Experience in communications channel management effectively selecting the most beneficial channel mix depending on audience and desired outcomes
- Experience in managing new platforms and tools for audience engagement
- Deep knowledge of technology space including media, thought leaders, and digital strategies
- Strong organizational, project management and problem-solving skills who is a self-starter, highly motivated and has the ability to perform in high-pressure, confidential situations
- Creative thinker, with proven ability to generate new ideas
What you'll bring to the team...
- Bachelor's Degree in Communications, Public Relations, English, Journalism, Business or related discipline from an accredited college or university
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in Corporate Communications, Public Relations / Agency, Marketing or Marketing Communications
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in all aspects of communications with a focus on media relations.
- Minimum of 10 years of strong writing and presentation skills experience with the ability to conceptualize, structure, write, and present compelling stories for a wide range of audiences
- Minimum of 10 year of experience in project management skills with the ability to work well with teams of cross functional employees and multiple external agencies, partners and stakeholders
- Experience leading high-performing communication teams with measurable outcomes that align with business objectives