What you'll do...
As a developing professional, performs research and analysis on moderately complex new or revised federal and/or state tax issues with a focus on identifying impacts to H&R Block's tax software products. Utilizes Tax Institute interpretations of new and changing tax laws as a starting point of the analysis where available. Makes determination of how federal and/or state tax changes will impact tax software products. Will research and interpret form changes and other tax changes where Tax Institute interpretations are not available. Creates written documentation of tax issues for use by software developers which may be used across the organization as needed. Provides direction to developers to ensure tax applications operate in congruence with tax law. Reviews and signs off on QA test plans for areas of responsibility.Responds to moderately complex state and/or federal tax related questions from tax professionals in the field, related to using tax software.
- With a focus on tax software functionality, utilizes Tax Institute tax law interpretation on moderately complex federal and/or state tax issues to analyze and evaluate impacts to H&R Block's tax software products.
- Performs independent research, and analysis on moderately complex federal and state tax and form changes where Tax Institute interpretations are not available. Interprets situation, draws conclusions, identifies fundamental tax points, researches and interprets tax code, regulations, case law, and makes recommendations as to the best tax treatment for the situation and associated impacts to current tax software.
- Monitors and analyzes defects and requirements to determine effects to current practices. Documents business requirements for product enhancements.
- Prepares documentation and requirements for use by software developers and may be used by tax practitioners.
- Participates in the day-to-day activities of a software development project team to identify and resolve tax related issues; ensures adherence to research standards.
- May perform testing in the development environment to ensure calculations and tax results are correct.
- Reviews and signs off on QA test plans for area of responsibility.
- Evaluates and responds to moderately complex tax questions received by mail, telephone and other electronic sources to ascertain exact nature of the issue, researches applicable tax law and regulations, makes recommendations as to the best tax treatment.
- Ensures all SLAs are met.
- Other duties as assigned.
About H&R Block...
We're here to live our purpose to provide help and inspire confidence in our clients and communities everywhere. We take our work personally, because we know what it represents: Families and homes. Livelihoods and lives.
We've been true to that purpose since brothers Henry and Richard Bloch founded our company in 1955. Since then, we've grown to approximately 12,000 tax offices throughout the United States and around the world. When you join our team, you'll add to the momentum of a forward-thinking company one that defined an industry and is now leading its transformation.
What you'll bring to the team...
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, or other related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of 3 years' experience as a tax pro or tax researcher.
- Developing knowledge of tax law and regulations sufficient to understand and explain elements of personal, corporate, partnership, fiduciary, estate, gift, and international taxation.
- Knowledge of tax research principles, procedures and techniques.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively research moderately complex tax issues and effectively communicate findings.
- Ability to interpret, analyze and correctly formulate solutions to moderately complex tax situations and translate those into software requirements.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to clearly explain moderately complex tax situations.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and projects simultaneously.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with an external and internal customer focus in all interactions