What you'll do...
I. JOB SUMMARY -
The Senior Infrastructure Engineer participates in developing an Enterprise approach to system specification, engineering, operational, administrative, capacity management, maintenance and support services for the H&R Block information technology infrastructure.
The Senior Infrastructure Engineer scope of control typically includes one or more of the following:
Networks and data communication,
Server and/or desktop systems,
Storage and data management solutions,
Application management and support.
This position provides technical research and recommendations as needed to supplement the Lead and Principal Engineer, provides support in the areas of technical support escalation, operational logistics, incident and problem resolution services resulting in deployments with optimal Mean Time to Restore (MTTR) and Mean Time Between Failure (MTBF) characteristics.
II. ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES -
- Participate in as appropriate the engineering and deployment planning of infrastructure systems for IT and business customers. Contribute to the proactive identification of automation opportunities in workflow, electronic information availability, and new systems management tools.
- Proactively engage as the Tier 2 escalation point to satisfy requests for new applications or functionality or resolve system, software or hardware deficiencies in existing systems. These actions may include performing technical research, presenting a corrective plan of attack, interface with vendors for additional analysis, or executing a system recovery in the case of failure.
- Provide timely and consistent communication on overall systems status and operational issues as required by support and customer groups.
- Assure quality workmanship is performed by utilizing industry best practices and following H&R Block corporate standards and guidelines.
- Participate in efforts to define and implement proactive fault detection and capacity monitoring systems. Perform configuration reviews to assure these systems quickly and accurately detect and mitigate incidents/problems through proper testing and maintenance. (i.e., CPU, Disk, Memory utilizing H&R Block corporate systems and standards.)
- As situations warrant, may be a participant in matrix teams for project activities.
- Assure optimum systems performance by implementing and following sound system tuning practices, swift fault isolation and rigorous problem resolution management.
- Provide input to the planning, development and execution of backup and recovery services. Execute the functions to provide these services as required.
- Provide efficient and effective project assistance to the internal and external H&R Block user community. Provide input that assists in identifying hardware and software requirements, alternatives, implementation of solutions, and expanded use of network systems.
- Provide operational guidance and support on applicable hardware and software solutions to customer groups as well as junior members of the team.
- Apply approved procedures and industry best practices on performance, confidentiality, integrity, and availability of applicable systems or solutions to deployed systems.
- Participate in the development of and maintain security, contingency and system documentation of systems including diagrams, schema logical and physical layouts.
- Provide effective resolutions to hardware and operating system software problems utilizing industry best practices and H&R Block corporate standards.
What you'll bring to the team...
1. Strong self-management skills including, organization, time management and prioritization
2. Practical experience with process documentation tools and methods
3. Proven application of quality assurance techniques and protocols
4. Prior experience with technology implementation and management methodologies
5. Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent through a combination of education and work experience.
6. Six years experience in a position requiring IT technical problem solving skills.
Functional understanding of interoperational relationships of various infrastructure components of an IT infrastructure including but not limited to server systems, storage
About H&R Block...
We're here to live our purpose-to provide help and inspire confidence in our clients and communities everywhere. We take our work personally, because we know what it represents: Families and homes. Livelihoods and lives.
We've been true to that purpose since brothers Henry and Richard Bloch founded our company in 1955. Since then, we've grown to approximately 12,000 tax offices throughout the United States and around the world. When you join our team, you'll add to the momentum of a forward-thinking company-one that defined an industry and is now leading its transformation.