|What you'll do...
H&R Block, the world's leader in tax preparation services, is looking for a Senior Product Manager - Data to join the DIY Tax Products & Services team. This position is located at our corporate headquarters, in the premier downtown Power & Light District of Kansas City, where everything is either steps or a streetcar ride away. Join us as we create superior digital experiences for our clients by knowing and predicting their needs while delivering unparalleled support and transparency.
- Are you ready to lead transformation and innovation at a well-respected company that is poised to redefine the way financial services are viewed?
- H&R Block is in the midst of positive cultural and technological change, and this role is pivotal in accelerating and guiding the change. The selected candidate must have a passion for delivering exceptional experiences for clients, prospects, and associates that align with H&R Block's brand promise of providing expertise and care.
- This product manager will work with cross-functional teams and a highly engaged leadership team to deliver a robust product strategy for leveraging data. You will be part of a team that believes in working fast, being accountable, and learning from mistakes.
- Partner with other product managers, corporate analytics, business development and IT to define and execute the vision for our data strategy.
- Understand and apply artificial intelligence and machine learning to experiences.
- Leverage existing capabilities to transform tax pro and customer facing experiences.
- Seek out external data partnerships/sources and collaborate with BD to bring them in-house to make our product offering more robust.
- Must be able to quickly understand objectives of business units, know how various internal and external data sources can support these goals, and translate them into requirements.
- Improve our document import and photo capture experiences and work with product partners to ensure implementation across business units (DIY, Retail, Virtual).
- Lead and coach junior product managers.
- Work with BD team to create positive relationships with Financial Institutions and external vendors. Bring cutting edge technology to bear to ensure reliable, frictionless data transfer of information (W-2, 1099, etc.) in support of an excellent customer experience.
With occasional to minimal leadership guidance, know and demonstrate proficiency in the following areas.
- Identify customer pain points
- Put the customer first
- Clearly communicate customer problems and how products can / will solve them
- Advocate for your customers among cross-matrixed teams
- Create customer delight and deliver signature moments
- Be able to articulate how our application is built and the company's tech stack
- Evaluate new technology ideas and help the team understand emerging trends
Strategy & Direction
- Create a vision for a feature, product, or product line and be able to define a roadmap
- Be a product visionary / evangelist
- Be able to persuade and negotiate your feature and/or position to others. Bring people on board. Know when to say no.
- Be proactive about emerging trends and market focus and how they apply to our business
- Fully understand and complete competitive analyses
- Have a greater sense for when things are possible
- Manage external vendors and internal/external partners
- Identify themes across multiple data sources
- Use data to tell a story, share insights and guide decision-making cross-functionally
- Have a strong understanding of your data and analytics at all times
- Facilitate work with data teams to best get the desired results
- Use data to prioritize based on client needs & business goals
- Identify and clearly communicate feature impacts across matrixed and enterprise teams, as appropriate
- Coordinate and influence internal partners to assure requirements are met and scope of work is appropriate and meets or exceeds business objectives
- Maintain the ability to identify the right processes and people are engaged to see a feature from idea to implementation
- In addition to creating clear user stories and acceptance criteria that map to the roadmap for the current season, influence the roadmap and start to develop user stories that are driving towards the next 6-12 months
- Show passion while creating and prioritizing product features that either contribute high business value for the team or provide proof points, knowing when to test and how to cull down to MVP
- Empower your design and content team to see your vision and share a high-level idea of an experience
- Own how a feature fits into the overall picture, identify dependencies & engage partners across the enterprise
- Create moments where you can create delight
- Facilitate design sessions/sprints with your team and cross-functional team members
- Write and present business stories cross-functionally, including: identifying a problem, highlighting possible solutions, identifying risks and their mitigations, presenting a solution and asking for resources in a concise and coherent way via deck and talk track
- Coach less experienced teammates on how to use various communication channels, including emails, face-to-face conversations and formal presentations
- Coach less experienced teammates on reading the room and knowing your audience so you can adapt your style based on how the information will be best received by that group of people
- Coach less experienced teammates on presenting complex information in an understandable way
What you'll bring to the team...
- Bachelor's degree (preferred in Business, Management Information Systems, Computer Science or related area), or the equivalent through a combination of education and work experience. Master's preferred. Certified Scrum Product owner.
- At least 5+ years product management experience or equivalent, including experience leading large-scale products that involve significant business and/or technology change.
- Experience in web-based /mobile / digital product management
- Experience leading teams in a matrix management environment, driving product vision and creating roadmaps
- Demonstrated record of establishing priorities and meeting deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated decision-making, analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Technology delivery/software development experience
- Strong data acumen
- Experience working with UI/UX design teams
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Experience with business case development and competitive analysis.
About H&R Block...
H&R Block's purpose is simple: To provide help and inspire confidence in our clients and communities everywhere. We've been true to that purpose since brothers Henry and Richard Bloch founded our company in 1955. Since then, we've grown to have approximately 12,000 offices throughout the United States and around the world.
We are a people company first and a tax company second. People who join H&R Block say it feels like being part of something bigger. A place with an amazing and storied history, but with a strong and urgent focus on the future. Maybe it's how determined, forward thinking and innovative we are, or how accessible our leadership is. We believe it's all those things, and much more.