The Veterans Canteen Service (VCS) at the Jefferson Barracks VA Medical Center in St. Louis, MO is seeking a Human Resource Specialist (Employee/Labor Relations).
The primary purpose of this position is to serve as a Human Resources Specialist (Employee/Labor Relations) with responsibility for planning, developing and carrying out the full range of Employee Relations, Labor Relations, and related management advisory support .
Skills & Requirements
- Duties include, but may not be limited to the following:
- Gathers background information and prepares formal correspondence on limited range of disciplinary actions .
- Provides managers and employees with information on VCS' policies, procedures and guidelines, when they are directly applicable to the situation.
- Advises managers and supervisors on grievance procedures and appropriate options for resolution of conflict or problems .
- Provides managers and employees with information and training on the workers' compensation program.
- Composes correspondence necessary for obtaining additional case information or clarifying the status of on-going OWCP cases, i.e., preparing light duty job offers, and engaging in general negotiations designed to terminate or settle claims and to close cases.
- Assists in investigation of grievances, ULP charges, and union complaints in the pre-litigation stage for possible settlement or withdrawal.
- Communicate with customers which include staff, management and Veterans, including face to face, written, telephone and electronic communications.
- Uses Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint to create a variety of support materials to develop summaries, and vendor updates.
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced work environment.
- Minimum of one (1) year of related experience in administrative/customer service work.
- Must be to identify potential problems, solutions, and the skills to analyze a variety of conflicting or incomplete data.
- Must have working knowledge of the organization in order to effectively handle the frequently short deadlines and other normal demands.
- Must have the ability to set work priorities, multi-task, respond to rapidly changing situations, obtain information effectively and work on several projects simultaneously.
- Ability to collect, analyze, and organize technical data. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a wide range of personnel within the VCS and other VA employees.
- General knowledge of the national collective bargaining agreements and national level midterm bargaining agreements affecting operational and HR issues and skill in reviewing unit and employee representation, unfair labor practices, arbitration, negotiability, impasses, and other related issues.
- Competitive Salary (varies by location and experience)
- Opportunities for growth
- Full Federal benefits package (Health, Life, Retirement, etc.)
- Paid vacation, paid sick days, and ten paid holidays
For more information about VCS, visit: https://www.vacanteen.va.gov/