The Veterans Canteen Service at the Jefferson Barracks VA Medical Center in St. Louis, MO is seeking an Assistant Buyer within Food Operations.
Major duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Develops and maintains ongoing management of recipe, orderable item, vendor, and sellable item data for POS system
- Contributes to finding new resources for food procurement to meet the needs of the organization
- Responsible for managing the order guides of the primary vendors for food and supplies, encompassing 50+ distribution centers and 1000's of individual SKUs.
- Manages local food vendor assortments and data
- Assists in running variance reports after month end inventory and analyzing to detect unusual waste or loss.
- Maintains currency in assortment trends by visiting national and local food and beverage shows, on-site vendor reviews and industry promotion shows
- Conducts price surveys of private or non-appropriated fund activities which carry the same types of food and beverage assortments
Benefits: We offer Federal retirement package, health and life insurance, vacation & sick days, ten paid holidays, and 401K plan.
Skills & Requirements
- Minimum of three (3) years of related experience in food industry purchasing. Culinary training is beneficial.
- Knowledge of purchasing procedures and techniques as they relate to industry best practice of negotiating and purchasing of materials and supplies
- Proficient in food procurement and recipe terminology
- Knowledge of food and beverage market techniques to identify market conditions and trends
- Ability to analyze retail data associated with sales, gross margins, vendor performance, etc
- Excellent analytic, communication and presentation skills.
- Experienced in operating computer systems such as Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint and Word
- Must be able to multi-task and work effectively to meet deadlines
- Periodic Travel is Required