Discover the power of one — and all — at Core-Mark
Come join the team that has been empowering customers, investing in people and serving communities for 130 years. The Power of One. Strengthen By All.
Text CORE to 97211 to apply
Under supervision of the Senior Buyer, the Buyer performs procurement and inventory management responsibilities by ensuring timely purchasing of assigned products, maintaining warehouse inventory turns and providing proper service levels and communication to our internal customers. In addition, the Buyer will analyze and create strategies intended to improve category performance through the development and execution business strategy plans that support company sales, financial and inventory objectives. The Buyer is accountable for implementing the vision; developing, analyzing, and executing category plans; and achieving financial goals.
- Review inventory levels ensuring sufficient turns, ordering when necessary.
- Maintain "buy side" promotions, plans and allowances in mainframe systems along with proper review, ordering and communication of "booking" items.
- Perform the following duties to ensure acceptable service level: contact suppliers and/or carriers to schedule or expedite purchase orders (PO's) and other delivery related problems; prepare and track PO's from order confirmation to put away in warehouse; approve bills for payment and review/resolve invoice discrepancies with Accounts Payable.
- Ability to recommend removal of non-moving inventory and determine solutions for the elimination of such inventory.
- Manage financial performance of assigned categories and vendors (including but not limited to; budget, sales, pricing, profits, margins, accruals, and income).
- Work with suppliers to develop and execute appropriate timing and launch of marketing programs (monthly sales flyer, Trade Show, Fall Marketing Program) geared towards sales growth and profitability.
- Own and drive strategic direction of the supplier relationships including the relationship between supplier and Sales Management, Marketing, Operations and other applicable departments. The Buyer should be seen as the "final decision maker" in regard to all Purchasing decisions externally.
- Develop, communicate, execute and monitor specific performance metrics and goals relevant to each supplier as part of regular, scheduled business reviews (including the supplier's role in continuous improvement tied to product portfolio management, cost reductions, supply chain improvements, inventory management, etc.).
- Provide overall category leadership to shape the product portfolio that will provide our customers the most attractive and profitable product offering while developing a competitive pricing strategy that drives top-line sales growth while maximizing product profitability.
- Negotiate all elements of assigned supplier relationships to ensure lowest total cost of procurement, including; terms, product cost, performance metrics, rebates, contracts, buy-ins, marketing funds, reclaim and yearly spend.
- Provide analysis and recommendations on relevant new products as well as discontinued items.
- Interact with category industry organizations and monitor publications to keep abreast of new developments, trends and market activity.
- Maintain industry knowledge of organizational and governmental rules, and provide information about these rules to staff members and to vendors.
- Develop and maintain professional and successful supplier relationships and consistently operate within company standards, policies and Codes of Ethics.
- Actively participate in meetings, company initiatives and events.
- Prepare reports and records related to buying and inventory activities.
- Travel may be required during the year, 10% or less.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree from a four-year college/university, or equivalent experience and training preferred but not necessary.
- 2 or more years of related experience as a Category Analyst/Category Manager/Buyer, or 3 or more years of combined buying, planning, sales and allocation responsibilities are preferred but not necessary.
- Should be very proficient in the use of Microsoft Excel, Office and Windows-based programs.
- Working knowledge of AS400 mainframe system and JDA/E3 ordering system preferred.
- Strong marketing, merchandising, product, trend and analytical skills.
- Understanding of Infometrics, Nielsen, or IRI data.
- Ability to analyze multiple forms of data as it relates to the recommendation and decision making process.
- Proven ability to perform work subject to shifting time tables and project priorities and to perform multiple projects concurrently.
- Ability to manage through dynamic change.
- Strong organizational and written/verbal communication skills.
- Persuasive telephone etiquette with strong negotiation skills.
- Demonstrated professional leadership with sound judgment and decision making ability.
- Comfortable with evolution in Standard Operating Procedures.
- Ability to interact effectively with a wide variety of internal and external customers is required and having the ability to maintain harmonious working relationships.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of Procurement, Sales and Marketing.
- Ideal candidate should have a demonstrated track record to learn if not know market trends, conditions, tonnage, seasonality, perishability and inventory turns expertise.
- Proven ability to manage tasks independently to achieve results.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Ability to establish and complete priorities in a multi-tasked environment.
- Frequent interruptions, fast-paced environment. Office environment subject to noise.
- Extended periods of time at the computer terminal, at desk, or on the telephone and operating other office equipment requiring eye-hand coordination and finger dexterity.
- Occasional lifting, bending, standing and carrying files, documents and records.
Licenses & Certifications