Garden Center Manager
The Garden Center Manager is responsible for the complete day-to-day operations of the Garden Center during the months when the Garden Center is open. The Garden Center Manager must be able to obtain a Sales Quota with goals and execution to buy, train, and execute to achieve these goals. They are responsible for maximizing garden center sales and profitability, along with managing expenses while ensuring that the garden center is optimally stocked and merchandised and that all customers are provided with excellent customer service. As part of management they continually contribute to the growth and development of the management team and store associates. During off season they will work alongside the Managing Partner to manage the complete day-to-day operations of the Costello's Ace Hardware store.
Live the Costello's Vision To be recognized in the communities we serve, as the most helpful, friendly problem solvers on the planet.
- Must have the knowledge and ability to buy live goods from multiple outside sources and manage their inventory of live goods to exceed their sales quota while minimizing loss.
- Must have extensive knowledge of annual and perennial plants, shrubs and trees, lawn care, pests and diseases.
- Oversee all staffing needs including recruiting, training, and scheduling of all garden center associates and to hold accountable for their responsibilities, company policies and company standards throughout the garden center and entire store.
- Must manage the delivery schedules of live plants and plan for appropriate staffing.
- Must strategically work with the marketing department to promote the garden center and the goods we sell.
- Create and execute consumer events that reinforce our relationships in the community.
- Manage all garden-related social media content for the garden center business.
- Create appropriate associate schedules based on business needs and payroll budget to ensure garden center is staffed accordingly at all times to meet customer demands.
- Execute Costello's Service Vision to make Every Customer feel WELCOME, IMPORTANT, CONFIDENT & APPRECIATED Every time they shop in the garden center and store.
- Make customer satisfaction your number one priority and swiftly deal with customer objections or complaints in a way that reinforces and grows relationships.
- Manage your inventory to: Take advantage of seasonal demand spikes, stay in stock, promote more frequent customer visits, minimize non-productive inventory, keep inventory shrinkage to within company standards.
- Communicate Sales goals and company announcements with entire team consistently, clearly and in a positive way.
- Understand how to negotiate and communicate with outside vendors.
- Travel and attend local pre-season grower shows/events.
- Read sales history reports and build projections for sales at both the category and SKU level.
- Meet budgets on Key Performance Indicators.
- Merchandise the garden center for success through (1) a complete assortment of live plants and associated products, (2) a customer-friendly layout, (3) properly maintained (and water) sales area including aisle (area) assignments for each associate, (4) clear and impact signage of prices, categories, and consumer information, (5) creative and timely display that inspire customers to purchase and shop more often.
- Maintain relationships with existing commercial customers and grow new relationships inside and outside of the garden center.
- Optimize operational procedure accuracy including but not limited to inventory receiving, accurate HR paperwork, and securing all company assets.
- Hire, train and develop retail staff with goals for growth and success in their positions, provide performance feedback and recognize accomplishments.
- Provide training and coaching for associates to ensure they have the sales skills and product knowledge to provide a consistent, exceptional customer experience to every customer, every time.
- Delegate daily workload among associates to meet merchandising and visual presentation standards for every aisle, promotional areas, impulse area and seasonal.
- Enforce safe and secure workplace policies and procedures.
- Perform other tasks as assigned by Managing Partner.
Qualified applicants for this opportunity will possess:
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, demanding environment
- Buying experience, preferred
- Must have a vast knowledge of annual and perennial plants, shrubs and trees, lawn care, pests and diseases.
- Knowledge of MS Office (Excel, PowerPoint, & Word)
- Excellent organizational skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Must have reliable transportation
- Sense of urgency and follow through are essential
Apply Online Below