Discover the power of one — and all — at Core-Mark
Come join the team that has been empowering customers, investing in people and serving communities for 130 years. The Power of One. Strengthen By All.
Position Responsibilities/Essential Functions:
- Represent Core-Mark and its supplier partners with high energy, enthusiasm, and a professional demeanor.
- Learn and maintain knowledge of food service products and practices including current sales and marketing techniques and product trends in the industry.
- Use business metrics provided by Core-Mark to formulate and execute an action plan which aligns with company growth objectives.
- Engage with strategic accounts to build a business rapport, recommend strategies for fresh foods and foodservice growth at the operator level, prepare product and conduct training demonstrations, and advise operators on marketing, pricing and profitability.
- Live food and beverage demonstrations include preparation will include baking, deep frying and other techniques using commercial kitchen equipment.
- Make customer recommendations of preparation methods, merchandising and display equipment when appropriate (i.e. soup warmers, roller grills, coffee brewing equipment, pastry displays, refrigerated merchandisers, etc.
- Understand how fresh and prepared-on-site food products are packaged and merchandised in a retail setting.
- General knowledge of commercial coffee brew and dispense systems operate as well as chilled beverage dispensers.
- Communicate new items, product information and competitive market information to generate dialogue and create demand among target customers.
- Present product and industry information to the Core-Mark sales team, customer service team, and other key personnel through training sessions at Quarterly sales meetings, team meetings and on an individual basis.
- Coordinate with Sales, Marketing, and the Procurement team, the planning, set-up and presentations for trade shows and customer seminars as needed.
- Under guidance from the Food Service Manager, collaborate with supplier partners and the sales team to conduct market visits and identify new sales opportunities.
- Prepare food service sample kits (Bag & Tag) as required to support the sales team.
- Maintain positive professional relationships with supplier partners, customers and internal partners.
- Complete and submit all administrative paperwork, i.e., comment sheets, schedules, etc., on or before deadline.
- Understand Core-Mark's product offering as it relates to market demands. Provide input and make recommendations regarding product and program placement.
- General knowledge of food safety standards including basic HACCP practice and cold-chain integrity, transporting of perishable foods, and maintain current Serv-Safe certification.
- Other job related duties as they are assigned.
- Four year degree in secondary education, or degree/certificate in culinary program, or equivalent experience.
- Knowledge of food service industry with at least one year exp. in restaurants and catering (cooking, baking, sandwich, pizza making, etc.) or outside sales (food, beverage, paper goods, or restaurant equipment). Broadline food service distribution or retail (convenience) food service experience helpful.
- Strong oral, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Customer service aptitude and willingness to work as part of a team.
- Flexibility to work extended hours as needed including late nights and weekends
- Flexibility to travel on a daily basis within assigned territory and occasionally for training seminars and conferences conducted at supplier headquarters
- Valid Driver's license and safe driving record
- Must comply with food handling and safety guidelines established by Core-Mark, supplier partners, customer locations and/or food service industry.
- Must be able to multi-task, to meet various deadlines and handle shifting project priorities.
- Should be familiar with technical business applications i.e. MS Office programs, smart phone, and be comfortable with using same tools in selling environment.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Significant periods of time spent in a vehicle, traveling to accounts within assigned territory
- Exposure to a variety of environmental conditions, i.e., weather (rain/snow, etc.) temperature, noise as determined by circumstances at accounts within assigned territory
- Direct contact with commercial kitchen equipment including ovens, deep fryers, etc.
- Regular periods of physical exertion requiring the ability to stand in place for hours at a time, lift up to 30 pounds consistently and occasionally up to 50 pounds and ride for extended periods in a moving vehicle.
Licenses & Certifications