Responsible for recording and reporting financial information related to an H&R Block client's business activities. Maintains client's books in accordance with policy and procedures. Verifies and records financial data in a manual and/or computerized system. Identifies issues with current process and notifies management and business client of concerns and potential solutions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Receives operational data for entry into the client's bookkeeping system and determines the best method to record the financial information, such as income, expenses, returned checks, bank charges, and labor hours/codes. Manually records information into the bookkeeping system.
- Ensures all checks are endorsed properly and deposited into the proper account each day. Prepares all charge card transactions on the day received. Reports all income and bank charge and information.
- Balances and reconciles ledgers, which will become part of the client's general ledger system. Reconciles cash and bank accounts on an agreed-upon basis, comparing account balances to other recorded sources.
- Develop detailed reports on a periodic basis for the business client regarding business income, business expenses, gross taxes and other reports as needed.
- Perform payroll services as requested by the business client account including preparation of payroll checks, preparation of monthly, quarterly, and annual employee and employer payroll reports. Prepares payroll in accordance with local, state, and federal wage and hour laws.
- Maintains a manual file system to store the hard-copy documents after entry into the record keeping system.
- Identifies issues with current process and notifies management of potential concerns and potential solutions. The client is also notified of any issues, concerns and solutions related to the maintenance of the client's financial records.
- Participates in meetings and training sessions to continuously improve the bookkeeping service provided to the client.
- Attends training related to the effective and efficient performance of job duties.
- Other duties, as assigned.
These skills are acquired through the completion of a high school diploma or equivalent. Additional coursework in accounting or business-related studies is preferred.
These skills are typically acquired through one year of experience in bookkeeping and accounting concepts such as accounts payable and receivable, and the creation of journal entries in a general ledger and six months experience with basic office procedures are required.
- Ability to work independently
- Analytical and detail oriented, with the ability to be creative
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, team environment
- Strong organizational and prioritizing skills are essential
- Good verbal and written communication skills required.
- Ability to effectively work under strict deadlines, while organizing multiple projects
- Demonstrated knowledge of applicable local, state, and federal wage and hour laws.
Two years of experience in bookkeeping and accounting concepts such as accounts payable and receivable, and the creation of journal entries in a general ledger.
Demonstrated understanding of the applicable bookkeeping software application and computer system.
Special Requirements Specific to Job
PC data entry and 10-key calculator skills are required.
Knowledge of the client's bookkeeping/payroll software in order to effectively maintain financial records.